Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Learning Teaching/Teaching Learning

What kind of teacher do I want to be?

Today I posed a question to my Tech Resources professor, "How do you teach an overview class to primarily beginner-level students term after term?" I am beginning to realize that my Dance Education degree is about more than each individual course on its own:
  1. Each course is essential to my degree.
  2. Each course encompasses subject matter that is essential to my field.
  3. Each course will be taught by a professor whose teaching style I can observe.
This third point is equally as important as the course content, or maybe more so. Over the past three weeks I have been observing teaching style, class organization, availability of teacher, patience with questions, presentation of course material, and assignment progression. I suppose at some point it comes down to teacher expectation. You expect that students will understand, gain more knowledge, and stretch their abilities. I have witnessed novice computer users whose technology experience consisted of word-processing and Internet surfing prior to taking this class emerge with projects including: writing html code, altering photos, working with sound and movie editing, posting blogs, and creating group projects that employ all of the afore-mentioned skills. The class is geared toward allowing students to accomplish all of this while keeping their specific educational field in mind. For me, the terminology was not foreign, but I did not have prior experience with most of the programs I have been introduced to in this course, nor had I considered including technology in my classroom.

I am excited to continue to learn to be a teacher and to use technology in my future classroom setting, as well as in performance. This will be one tool that will assist me in creating a dynamic learning environment. What an amazing collaboration is dawning in my life. The links are infinite.

1 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger SolidGold said...

You bring up some great points. I think our field is particularly interesting in that our classes are two-fold. I find it wonderful that we learn both content AND teaching styles in every class. I'm glad you asked the question in class, too. Patience and enthusiasm for each new class and each new student is a goal for all of us hoping to teach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home